Thursday, July 14, 2011

Question: How do you know you're in St. Louis?

Answer: When even the pre-op nurse at the hospital asks you what high school you went to.

Back at home and after a three hour nap, I'm finally feeling ready to update.  Everything went really well this morning.  We checked in at the appointed time of 7:30am and did a lot of waiting until my procedure at 10am.  I wasn't allowed to have any food or drink after midnight last night so I was getting a bit...'hangry' this morning.  Luckily, Nick forgot to eat breakfast, too so I had company.

We had the nicest nurses all morning...this is one of the reasons I like living in the Midwest...people are just genuinely nice.  And of course, as is the tradition in St. Louis, they all asked Nick what high school he went to.  Dr. Silber and the assisting physician Dr. Derosa came to meet with us briefly before the procedure and then they wheeled me away.  I must find out how they warm their blankets because they kept me under a steady stream of toasty blankets all morning.  I'm spoiled now...a regular blanket won't do.

One minute I was in the operating room and the next I was waking up being wheeled back to recovery with Nick.  The surgeons came in and told us they got 20 eggs which is really super duper good.  They told us to expect about six embryos and we'll get reports each day starting tomorrow on how our 'embies' are growing before the transfer on Sunday.

I was VERY unprepared for how uncomfortable I would be after the procedure.  Actually, uncomfortable is a misnomer.  I was in pain.  It was like menstrual cramps on steroids.  They said I was in more pain than some people because of the number of follicles I had.  I must have looked grumpy because the nurse asked me if I wanted a percoset and I'm no fool...I said yes.

After I woke up and it was getting close to time to leave, I asked Nick if I said anything funny when I first came out of recovery.  Once, when Nick was in surgery, he had me in stitches with some of the stuff he said during recovery.  He said no, though....boo.

They wheeled me out in a wheelchair (the nurse wouldn't pop a wheelie, though...I asked) and then we were on our way home!  Well, after a trip to Steak and Shake for a chocolate shake.  I was ravenous.  We both took naps this afternoon and I still feel a little groggy/uncomfortable so it's probably time for another nap. :)

I feel like I close every post this way, but let me say a sincere thank you AGAIN for all the calls, emails, texts, Facebook messages, and general good thoughts/prayers you've sent our way.  Love to you all! XO

No comments:

Post a Comment