Wednesday, July 6, 2011

On being a cat mother...

Today was my last day of work...a day that I both equally rejoiced over and dreaded.  Rejoice...for obvious reasons.  Dread...because I literally had blocked off the entire day in 30 minute increments to finish projects, have final meetings, etc, etc.

So, of course it stands to reason that since this was my last day of work for two weeks...and I had an enormous amount to accomplish, that we would have a cat-astrophe when my beloved cat Carl started acting strangely.  He was listless...wouldn't drink water...and seemed to be having a hard time going to the bathroom.  We'd been down this road before and it ended in a lot of tears from me, an emergency trip to the vet and a big bill.  Oh, and a cone for Carl's head.

I knew that it couldn't be avoided and that I would quickly have to get him an appointment.  I sent a note to my assistant and boss letting them know that I had a cat emergency (they both have cats, luckily) and packed Carl up (but not before remembering to change out of my work clothes and into appropriate fur receptacle clothes.  Cats shed A LOT when they are scared.)  My family has been using the same vet for 20 years so luckily I was able to call the receptionist and beg for an early appointment. 

The drive to the vet's office was...traumatic for both Carl and I.  I cried the whole way there because I was sure that they were going to tell me that Carl needed to be put to sleep and Carl cried the whole way there because he's a cat.  We were quite a pair.  I arrived at the vet's office, mascara smeared, cat drool and hair all over me and walked inside.  I was told that we would be seen 'right after the goat'.  At that exact moment, I man walked in dragging a goat behind him.  And dragging he was.  That goat did not want to go anywhere.  Apparently, he had some type of 'obstruction'.  I didn't ask for details especially after the noises that came from the exam room.

While we waited, a three legged cat hopped its way over to Carl and exchanged what I interpreted to be a friendly bump of noses but Carl took it more as an aggressive threat...so the three legged cat retreated.   Most of you probably don't know this, but as Nick will attest, I have a 'thing' for animals missing limbs, eyes, ears, etc.  I'm always convinced that I'm the only one in the world that will possibly love them and I can't tell you how many times Nick has had to talk me out of taking on another one of my charity animal cases.  Sigh...

At any rate, we were quick seen by a very wonderful and gentle vet who was able to take Carl in and put him on a course of treatment and assuaged my fears.   In the meantime, I called Carl's 'grandma' (my mom) who generously offered to watch him while we are in St. Louis.  I'm sure he'll be spoiled silly by the time we return and never want to come back. 

The interesting part of this story is that ALL of the moms I told it to today (including my own) commented that this would be 'just a typical day' as a mom when we have kids.  Minus the goat part, I presume.

No comments:

Post a Comment