Saturday, April 7, 2012

There's no crying (or winning) in IVF

Does anyone remember that song by Soul Asylum - "Frustrated, Incorporated"?  Yeah, that is kind of where I am at right now.  I had my follicle check yesterday morning and my follicles had barely grown.  Grrr.  This new protocol has me on a lower dose of stims since I've over stimulated previously...I had, like, the Jackie Joyner Kersee of ovaries...sprinting to the finish.  This time, they are poking along like...well, me, if I had to run against Jackie Joyner Kersee.  Adding to my stress, my estradiol levels dropped which the nurse and doctor told me can happen when I added in the ganirelix but it  is still a psychological blow.  

What does all of this mean?  My retrieval is being pushed back from either Tuesday/Wednesday to Thursday/Friday.  In addition, my RE is increasing the dosage of my stims.   I had to order more medications in order to make it that long.   So more days of being uncomfortable and anxious.  And re-arranging my work schedule.  That part actually stresses me out quite a bit...it's hard to call volunteers and say, 'uh, I need to reschedule our meeting because I have slow ovaries'.  Hooray!  

In 'let's focus on the positive' news, my RE did say that on this protocol the danger of over stimulating is almost non-existent which for me means that they can continue to stim me as long as needed to get where I need to be.  It's not a sprint, it's a marathon, blah blah blah.   I just need these damn follicles to grow. 

Nick has been very supportive and encouraging.  We are both scared and anxious but hoping for the best.  Luckily, we had a lot of distraction yesterday.  His parents and brother and sister-in-law are all visiting us for Easter.  Yesterday, we checked out the Titanic exhibit at Union Station (you'll be pleased to know that I refrained from forcing any of my in-laws to re-create Jack and Rose's 'I'm on top of the world' scene on the front of the ship) and then had an amazing lunch at Gram and Dun.  I have been eating really well lately in an attempt to reduce some of my bloating and discomfort.  That sort of went out the window yesterday but I figured I had earned it.   My sister-in-law Becky and I shared the beer can chicken sandwich  and chicken and waffles.  Yum.  Then we all sort of carb crashed and headed home for a nap.  We stayed in last night and made dinner.  Nick did a stuffed pork loin and salmon on the grill and I made some roasted potatoes and our favorite spinach salad.  My parents joined us and my mom brought an amazing tiramisu that I'm currently trying to pretend isn't in the refrigerator and wouldn't make a great breakfast.

Lots of fun stuff today planned so I'm off!  Please send some good thoughts our way! XO

No comments:

Post a Comment