Sunday, April 29, 2012

Three (hundred) IS a magic number!

WE ARE PREGNANT!

Or more accurately, I am pregnant.  Today was our blood test at the doctor's office in Olathe...so once again, we made the 50 minute trek out there for blood work.  Only this time, rather than anxiousness, we felt mildly nervous but mostly excited anticipation.

Why?  Because we've been getting positive tests at home since Thursday.  I know - I said I wasn't going to do that, didn't I.  And really - I had no intentions to take a test until maybe the day of the blood test at the doctor.   I'll be honest - after the transfer, I thought the peace I was feeling was God's way of preparing me for disappointment.  I had already told Nick I had to take the summer off before taking any next steps and I was planning a mini-triathlon and a full triathlon for the end of the summer.  

But, I don't know - things just felt...different this time as each day progressed.  I had a lot of cramping, a couple of bouts of nausea, things tasted funny.  I had been fooled before and so I was trying not to read too much into it.  Then, on Thursday morning, I took a test on a whim.  Thursday was 6 days past my transfer...so pretty early for a positive still, but not out of the realm of possibility.  Imagine my surprise when a line, albeit a light line, popped up right away.  I bounded Tigger-style into our room and woke Nick up to tell him.  He blinked sleepily and eventually agreed with my assessment of a line.  The next day, I took another test - Nick asked "it's getting darker  -  is that good or bad?"  It's good, hon.  Saturday's test was nearly as dark as the control line and after co-hosting a shower, I decided to chance it and take a test on a digital pregnancy test.  Digital tests typically aren't as sensitive as the control line tests, so I was a little worried.  The stupid timer that blinks on the digital was maddening but after 20 seconds or so, the magic word 'pregnant' appeared.  I did a little dance and texted the picture to Nick.

So, today - we did the blood test (first try!) and headed out to breakfast.  We had only been home for 15-20 minutes when the nurse called and said "It's official.  You're pregnant!"  Our beta test number was 300 (the test measures the hCG in your system) which is quite high.  We're scheduled for another test on Tuesday - at that time, they'll want the beta to have doubled or nearly doubled to indicate a normal pregnancy. 

We are still cautiously optimistic but it's starting to sink in that this could be real.  We have a long ways to go, but this is the farthest we've gotten yet and we plan to enjoy every second of it.  That said, don't expect any announcements on Facebook or to extended family and friends (well, except for you guys!) until the first trimester is over.  There's just too much that could happen between now and then, but you all have been so supportive that we couldn't not share the happy news with you.

4 comments:

  1. We saw your miscall. We just woke up from a nap. We are so excited to be Tios of a little Habes. We will keep sending you our prayers for a healthy pregnancy. Congratulations to both of you. Love Dan and Lus

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tia Ninil! ;) We've still got a ways to go, but we are cautiously optimistic. Nick will try you guys again tonight! XOXO

      Delete
  2. So happy for you!! We'll keep you in our prayers!! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! We appreciate the prayers!!! XO

      Delete