Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Shots on the house...

Yesterday was D-day...started my Lupron injections (lupron is the drug that suppresses ovulation).  I actually got a little over-eager and practically stumbled over myself from the car into the house.  I was simultaneously excited and nervous, although that quickly turned to 100% nervous.

Nick helped me read the directions and prep...thank goodness he was there.  Even though I did just fine in the doctor's office, I froze when I actually had to stick myself.  I just stood there pinching some skin around my belly button with the needle poised to strike.  I closed my eyes, tried to jab myself and FAILED.  I chickened out at the last minute and succeeded only in sticking myself, but not injecting the medicine.  D'oh.  Nick appeared to be stifling laughter and I shot him a murderous glance. 

Finally, I put my big girl panties on (I hate that saying normally, but it is appropriate in this situation) and just did the darn thing.  It stung more than I thought it would, but I guess it wasn't TOO bad and apparently, it will get better.




Here's a fairly unflattering photo of me right before the shot.  Please excuse rumpled clothes, messy hair and vaguely terrified expression on my face.

In order to better handle this whole shots thing, I commissioned a piece of artwork courtesy of my dear friend Vince and his mad MS Paint skillz.  I've decided if I envision a friendly cartoon needle (I'm embracing my inner five year old), perhaps things won't be so bad.  Meet Nate, the friendliest needle this side of the Missisippi.  And a Royals fan, too!


Who could be afraid of this guy? :)

And finally, apropos of nothing, really...a photo of me on Sunday morning as Nick was working on the ribs.  In my defense, I got up at 6am with him and half-assedly doused lovingly sprinkled each rack of ribs with the secret rub mixture. (Hee! Spell check just told me that I spelled half-assedly wrong!)

1 comment: