Thursday, June 9, 2011

Blame it on the alcohol...

You know how if somebody tells you can't have something, it just makes you want it more? Or is that just me?  At any rate, after June 21st, I'm supposed to eliminate alcohol completely and HOPEFULLY won't be able to drink again for quite a long time...nine months or so.

But knowing that I won't be able to have it soon has made me crave it now.  It will surprise some of you (particularly those that know Nick and I from college) to learn that we don't really drink that often...maybe 1-2 drinks a week, tops?  (Sidenote: we're officially old.)  But since I learned that liquor and I were not going to be friends anymore, I've had more happy hours than I care to share here, PLUS I've got several 'Sarah's Last Drink for the Hopefully Foreseeable Future' outings coming out with various groups of friends (Bristol, Avenues and Piropos next week!)

One happened a few weeks ago, when I demanded politely requested that my girlfriends go out and do karaoke with me.  So, our host Jill had us over for drinks and snacks and then (once we spend about an hour and half arguing over whether or not we should take cover because of a tornado watch) we went to a magical place called the Red Balloon.  I think calling this place a dive would be a compliment. 

Have you ever seen a movie where a guy walks into, like, an old-fashioned saloon-type bar and the saloon goes silent?  That's pretty much what happened to us.  I'm not sure they are using to seeing women with their own teeth women as attractive as ourselves.  We caused quite a stir.  After waiting what seemed like hours and enduring the World's Smallest Toilet, we finally (after I bribed) got on stage and sang..."We Built This City" by Starship.  Two bars in, we cleared the dance floor.  I guess there weren't a lot of 80s music fans in the place that night.   Then, later, we snuck in one more...something by Madonna and they literally took the microphones out of our hands and kicked us out (although I think that's because the bar was closing, not because we were that bad).   Because we're responsible, nobody drove home and we all had a slumber party.  It was a lot of fun...thanks so much, girls! 



No comments:

Post a Comment