Thursday, August 18, 2011

Eat your veggies...

(Ed. note: I actually wrote this last week, but Blogger was giving me a headache and I never got around to publishing)

After a groundswell of demand for Bringing Up Berger posts (okay, it was just two of you), I am back by not even moderately popular demand. 

No, the truth is...I do intend to keep up with the blog.  It serves multiple purposes - keeping you all updated on what's going on, giving me an outlet, and hopefully, most importantly documenting all the PAIN and ANGUISH that we went through to have children (Children...if you are reading this in the future...there was a LOT of pain and anguish.  So, go give your ol' mom and dad and hug.  And go brush your teeth.  And clean your rooms.  And make sure you're wearing clean underwear. Okay, fine...just make sure you're wearing underwear.)

So what have I been doing while not tending to this blog? This weekend, we drove to St. Louis for my mother in law, Rose's 60th birthday and my sister in law Becky's uh...another significant birthday.  She's sort of sensitive about it.  I'm not sure why...she doesn't look a day over 25 (and she didn't pay me to say that!).  We semi-surprised Rose with a family portrait and we decided this weekend made the most sense.  We found a great photographer who in addition to doing family photography is also the official photographer of the St. Louis Zoo.  I have now on four separate occasions made a joke about the photographer definitely being able to handle us if he's used to monkeys, bears and tigers.  But I won't do that here. That would be cheap.

The rest of the weekend was spent eating and drinking.  I had only had ONE drink in the last two months, so I made up for lost time by sharing multiple mimosas with the ladies and my brother in law, Dan (the only male brave enough to join us) and enjoying several pieces of birthday red velvet cake, which despite lacking pecans, was still delightful. :)

Nick managed to rein in his eating and drinking all weekend and made the rest of us feel like slugs by going for a two hour bike ride and burning nearly 2,000 calories while we drank champagne and ate cake.  I'm surprised the halo around his head didn't poke one of us in the eye. 

By the time we got back to KC, I felt the need to detox, so in addition to upping my morning shake ouncage (is that a word? I just made it up, I think), I planned meals that were very fruit and veggie heavy.  What follows is what I did.  I don't necessarily think I am the greatest cook in the world nor am I the best at nutrition (see: cake and champagne), but one thing I am excellent at is making eating healthy as simple and easy as possible.  So, hopefully this helps someone.

About once a week in the summer, I cut up a ton of veggies into one inch pieces, put them in a roasting pan, add a couple of tablespoons of olive oil, add sea salt and freshly ground black pepper and roast at 400 degrees for about 35 minutes.  (Alert!  Bad photography warning...I abhor ugly pictures of food but consider this demonstrative not skillful photography).


This smells amazing while roasting in the oven.  That evening, we had the roasted veggies along with grilled chicken, but since there were obviously plenty of leftovers, here's what we did the next day.

Breakfast: Omelet with roasted veggies for Nick...I had my usual scary shake (Note: I do not have latent 1950s housewife tendencies and get up and make breakfast for Nick every day.  Only once in awhile when I'm feeling nice.  Or I want him to watch The Bachelor with me.)


Lunch: Roasted Veggie and Hummus Wrap (I used the La Tortilla Factory wraps because they are very low calorie and high in fiber.  I slathered a very generous serving of hummus on the wrap, layered the roasted veggies, added some spinach, and topped with feta cheese.)


There you have it - 15 minutes to cut up the veggies, 35 minutes to roast, three meals.  I am a genius.

No comments:

Post a Comment