Sunday, June 24, 2012

Musing and Moving

Hope everyone had a great weekend!  I am currently sacked out in bed.   It's surprisingly difficult to type with a cat trying to sleep on your head.  I think I may have overdone it this weekend with activity because I'm exhausted now.  More on that in my next weekly update, though.  For now, though - a couple of things.

1.) I will no longer be writing on this blog in a few days.  I know - sad, right?   What will the world do without my mildly entertaining musings?  Oh, don't worry - they'll still exist.  Just at a new blog address.  This blog has been such a great tool for keeping friends and family in the loop, but it's not necessarily for mass public consumption.  I've been working on a new blog that will focus on our pregnancy and subsequently, what is sure to be our crazy life with twins.  Probably some healthy recipes, too.  What else can you expect?  More crappy photography.  Anecdotes about our cats.  Witticisms and such.  All the things you've come to expect at bringingupberger - just for a wider audience.  I'll post the new address soon!

2.) One of the first things that happened to us when we found out we were expecting quads was an introduction into the local 'moms of multiples' community.  A local quad mama reached out to me (through a connection with my infertility 'support group') and introduced me to so many wonderful local resources for families with multiples, as well as an amazing support group for quad moms all over the country.  And though, we are not going forward with twins, Rebecca tells me 'once a quad mom, always a quad mom'.  I am so grateful for her support and wisdom, as well as Stephanie's, another local mom of quads.  Ladies, thank you so, so much!

3.) For many people, infertility is a really lonely journey.  It's not something that's discussed openly in our culture and it wasn't until we faced it ourselves that I realized how many couples and individuals are suffering, desperate to start a family.  I don't really know why it's so much more prevalent today - doctors say part of the reason is that couples are starting families later in life.  I'm sure that's part of it, though I have to believe there is an environmental reason, as well.  One of the true blessings in our own journey is that I never felt that we were facing it alone.  Of course, our friends and family have been completely supportive and for that, we are eternally grateful.  Moreover - as I think I've said before, in one group of friends alone, four of us are seeing the same reproductive endocrinologist (should have gotten a group discount!).  It's been so great to have these women as a resource and sounding board.  They are always there, texting, emailing and calling to check up on each other just to say 'hey, I'm thinking about you.'

But, I also had the great fortune to find my way to another group of  women in November of 2010, who were all dealing with various infertility issues.  And as time progressed, and my status as the Obi Wan of IVF was cemented, I was connected with many other women facing the same thing - all over the country.  It's peculiar - we are all so different and come from various walks of life, yet the frustration and pain of infertility is so very universal.  It's been a true blessing to see many of these friends get pregnant and have their babies, because even when I wanted so desperately to be in their shoes (and I would be lying if I didn't say there was jealousy at times), I knew the fact that they had come out on the other side okay meant that I would, too.

And so, even now - as I am sitting here 12 weeks pregnant and so very, very grateful to be so, there is a part of me that wishes from the bottom of my heart that all of the women I've become so close to could feel this feeling, too.  I want this for them so badly and it makes my heart hurt to know they are still not there yet.  I can't wait for the day that each of you finally see that magic second line, have your first ultrasound, see and hear the heartbeat (or beats!) and finally, I really can't wait for someday when all of our babies are playing together...and all of the pain and frustration feels like another lifetime.   I will continue to be your cheerleader and no one will be cheering more loudly than me when your time comes.   Sending all of you my love and prayers and good wishes - XOXO.

No comments:

Post a Comment