Wednesday, June 13, 2012

It was nice while it lasted.

Prologue: I'm positive that all my talk of 'oh, I feel so great' and 'I hardly even know I'm pregnant' has had karma show me who is boss (pauses while present Sarah slaps past Sarah around for being so smug!). 

So, we had a really busy weekend.  A fun weekend, but busy nonetheless.  Friday night I had a dinner planned with friends at The Savoy Grill, a historic seafood and steak restaurant in KC.  Our dear friend Elizabeth is abandoning us taking an exciting opportunity to pursue her Master's in History at the University of Colorado - Boulder.  While we prepare for her to abandon us exciting opportunity, she created a Kansas City Bucket List, of which a 'fancy' dinner at the Savoy was tops.  The dinner was amazing and the atmosphere (and company) delightful.  I surprised all of my fellow diners by not going the steak route.  I think I may have overdone the red meat thing as of late. 

Saturday wasn't really that busy other than I was trying to get stuff done around the house in between time at the pool with Nick and dinner out at a new restaurant.  Sunday, I had a baby shower to attend and a family gathering to see one of my favorite people in the world, my cousin Jen, who was in town briefly.  Jen is studying anthropology at the University of New Mexico and is leaving in September to live in Mexico with her husband for a year and a half.  I pretty much want to be her when I grow up.  :)   All super fun stuff, but by the end of Sunday, I was exhausted.  I barely made it through the True Blood premiere (so glad it's back on!) before conking out.

Monday, I woke up feeling terrible.  Congested, coughing and just generally miserable.  I decided to stay home and rest.  As the day went on, my head was hurting worse and worse, until finally it turned into a migraine.   It never occurred to me until then that there is absolutely nothing a pregnant woman can take to help a migraine, so I pretty much writhed around in agony for a good 18 hours.  Nick tried everything he could think of - Tylenol, lots of caffeine, massage, cold compress - nothing worked.  I am pretty sure he was seconds from taking me to the ER multiple times.  I sobbed in misery all over the house.  I am not really a crier and I think my pain tolerance is fairly high, so let me assure you...it sucked.   I also had a fever and so I ended up getting a prescription for an antibiotic for a sinus infection.

The migraine continued into Tuesday and finally dissipated in the afternoon.  I watched A LOT of Law and Order: SVU.  More than is probably healthy.   Today, I am feeling better, if not great.  Although I always feel better when I have real pants on, as opposed to my lay-around-the-house-really-sad-looking-yoga-pants.  I mean, they aren't buttoned or anything, but still.  Pants!

Speaking of which, I really need to start taking pictures of my bump because you can definitely see it now.  And not just my normal stomach cushion, I'll have you know.  Also, I find that whatever fits me in the morning...tends not to by about 2:00pm.  It makes getting dressed every day so exciting!  Not.

Because I was feeling better last night, Nick took me for a late night ice cream run.  There were at least ten people ahead of us in line; the five directly ahead of us looked to be 13 year old girls.  I was sort of half listening to their conversation until I heard the word "Botox" at which point I devoted my full attention.  One of the girls was talking about how she had gotten botox in her armpits to prevent sweating which, yeah - I've heard of - but at 13?  Then, one of the other girls swore up and down she needed botox in her laugh lines.  Which would be funny, if it weren't so horrific. 

The line was taking FOREVER so after we stood there for 20 minutes and the clerk was finally taking the girls' order, I got a LITTLE grumpy when each of the girls decided to taste test multiple flavors of ice cream.  OH MY GOD THEY DID NOT JUST DO THAT.  Nick clearly saw a storm brewing and quickly asked the clerk if he could take our order.  I guess this is a lesson for all - don't get between a pregnant woman and her ice cream.  You're welcome.



No comments:

Post a Comment