Monday, January 23, 2012

Things My Cat Loves...Epilogue

If you follow me on Facebook, you probably caught some of the saga with Ernie last week.   However, for posterity, let's recap.

I (quite astutely) realized lately that Ernie seems a little too enthusiastic about my jewelry.  Not wanting to succumb to gender norming, I was letting him play with my earrings when I took them off...until he started trying to remove my engagement ring and wedding band from my hand.  From then on, I kept the rings in a drawer when not wearing them (mostly at night).

Last week, I was doing a little fashion show for myself as the result of post Christmas gift card purchases, when I took off my rings and earrings and sat them on the dresser.  I walked into our master bathroom for maybe 30 seconds and heard the distinctive thud of a cat hitting the dresser and then the same thud when the cat hit the ground.  I saw Ernie's tail as he went around the corner out the door but didn't think much of it. 

Until the next day when I went to put my rings on and noticed only my engagement ring was still there.  I IMMEDIATELY knew what happened and panicked.  I spent an hour and a half scouring the house, cursing Ernie and his damn extra toes the entire time.  Eventually, I had to go to work.   Tearfully, I called Nick.  He was...less than enthusiastic.

Me:  OMG!  Ernie stole my ring!
Nick: $%&$ $&#$
Me: Stop YELLING at me...sob, sob, sob....
Nick: (Backtracking at my clearly extreme state)  I will help you find it or we will get you a new wedding band. ::::gritting teeth:::::
Me:  But I don't WANT, sniff, sniff, another wedding band!  I want MY wedding band!  Sob, sob, sob....

And while it's funny now, it was true.  My wedding band has immense sentimental value.  Nick did such an amazing job creating both my engagement ring and band; the thought of not wearing the band that he put on my finger the day we got married....well, it put me over the edge.

All day I fretted over the missing ring.  Until a friend and blog reader (hi, Maggie!) pointed out on Facebook that I seemed to make a lot of references to Ernie dropping things in his water bowl in my previous blog post...had I checked there?  Um, no.

When I arrived home, I blew through the door and stomped up to the kitchen where the water bowl sits.  And there it sat.   After a thorough scrubbing and sanitizing, it is back on my finger.  And I felt guilty for all the horrible things I thought about Ernie.

What did give me some pleasure, however, was something I recently noticed about him.  This really should have made the Things Ernie Loves List but it's too funny not to share now. 

Ernie is a bit of a pyro.  By which I mean, we can no longer have candles burning in the open as he is fearless and will knock them over.  There are several areas in the master bedroom that have been splattered by wax as a result of his fascination.  A month or so ago, I was watching him stare longingly at a candle I'd just lit.    I looked away briefly and he took his opportunity to dive head first into the candle.  Luckily, I caught the candle but not before the whiskers above his eyes got singed and fell out.   They have yet to grow back.  I think it gives him character, though.  

If there were a contest for Worst Cat in the World...Ernie would be a strong contender.  

1 comment: