Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Ultrasound #2

Hello, all!

Just back from the doctor's office; I am off today since we are leaving for Memphis this afternoon, so I swung by Nick's office and picked him up on the way to the Olathe office.  I left the house at 8am and just got back so it's been a long morning.  I need a nap. :)

Today we got to see the identical twins' heartbeats and hear them - it was so amazing!  Their heartbeats were 113 and 110 beats per minute, which is good; they are both measuring on target.  Seeing the heartbeat was a neat experience, too - although it was just a tiny little flash on the screen that if the doctor hadn't been pointing directly at, I probably would have just nodded my head and smiled like 'Okay, doc - whatever you say'.  It was nice to have Nick in the room this time, too.  Made it feel a lot more real!

So now to answer the questions you are really to hear for...what's going on with #3 and #4?  Well, the doctor is nearly certain that #4 is an empty sack.  #3 - it's unclear.  He couldn't see the heart like he could with the twins, although there was a yolk sack.  So, we're just going to keep monitoring both of them.  It seems reasonably possible that we could be moving forward with twins.

Frankly, we are quite relieved.  We still need to see how things progress, but the risks we were reading about triplet/quad pregnancies really had us scared.  Several studies we read cited that  in as many as 25% of triplet/quad pregnancies - all of the babies were lost.  This was kind of our 'hail mary' IVF cycle so I don't know how we could go on if we lost the entire pregnancy. 

At any rate, we still have a long way to go!  We will have weekly ultrasounds for a few more weeks to see how things progress and then 'graduate' to an OB.

Okay, I am off to pack for Memphis in May!  BBQ  - get in ma' belly!   Much love to you all...


1 comment:

  1. Sarah, love reading your updates. So happy for you guys!!!! YEAH TWINS!! :) R*

    ReplyDelete