Thursday, February 23, 2012

IVF: Part 4 - first update!

Today, we (well, I...Nick had a meeting he couldn't get out of) had an appointment with our doctor to go over the cycle in more detail and talk about next steps.  He still believes IVF with our own eggs/sperm is the best option for us so we are in the process of scheduling a cycle for April.  I asked a lot of questions, mainly about how our protocol will be changed to lessen the risk of hyperstimulation.

For our next cycle, I will be on a different drug to stimulate the ovaries and instead of using a mega dose of HCG as the trigger to send the message to the eggs right before retrieval, I will instead get a big dose of Lupron (which is the drug we've used to suppress the ovaries in previous cycles - I don't exactly understand how something that in one use can suppress ovulation and then in antother use, stimulate - but whatever.  I trust the doc.). 

This protocol is designed for patients with a history of hyperstimulation.  As you might remember, despite being on a lower dose of the stims in our October cycle, I actually hyperstimulated more and produced more eggs than is typical.  This protocol will hopefully 1) produce a more manageable quantity and higher quality of eggs and 2) keep me from being in such pain/discomfort subsequent to the retrieval. 

I went over that last point in great detail with our doctor because even though no doctor will say it, I cannot believe that being that miserable and in pain helps our chances of success.  If I was a little embryo, I doubt I would want to implant into such an angry uterus. :)  It's like there was a big red warning on my lady parts scaring off the embryos.   Geez, maybe I've gotten a little too comfortable talking about this stuff with you all; that can't be an attractive visual image.  Oh, well. 

He assured me that I should be much more comfortable in this cycle.  He said that when he's done the protocol in the past, the ovaries 'get quiet' (that's the term they use for when the ovaries aren't producing a ton of eggs) much more quickly after the retrieval and virtually go back to normal within weeks.  (It was two months after the last cycle before my ovaries 'quieted'.

Overall, I left the appointment feeling very positive about our chances and while maybe not EXCITED exactly...anxious to get started again.  I'm still pretty bummed about our recent failed cycle but I'm okay with that.  I think I just realized it is okay to feel sad when something like that happens.  But you all probably all knew that already.  :)

XO

2 comments:

  1. Hi Sarah, this is Sarah your Uncle Mike's step daughter. (We met a couple of times a million years ago) My husband and I are getting ready to try IVF (May cycle) after a heartbreaking length of time trying to conceive. Mike gave me your blog address and I've been reading some of it. Thanks for scaring the crap out of me! No really, it is good to hear the depth of what I could be in for, I appreciate the honest first hand account. I wish you the best this April. Oh, and cute kitties :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah - of course I remember you! I'm so sorry that IVF is the route you have to take. I'm going to go harass Mike into giving me your email address so I can contact you directly. :)

    ReplyDelete